- Intended audience
- Composer and Magento
- Install Composer
- Get the Magento CE metapackage
- Get the Magento EE metapackage
(Integrator) Overview of integrator installation
This topic provides an overview of how to get either the Magento Community Edition (CE) or Enterprise Edition (EE) metapackage.
The audience for this topic is anyone who downloads the Magento metapackage using
composer create-project. If that isn’t you, go back and choose another starting point.
Before you continue, make sure you’ve done all of the following:
Set up a server that meets our system requirements
For details, see Prerequisites
Created the Magento file system owner
Composer and Magento
We use Composer for dependency management. Composer enables us to manage the Magento components and their dependencies.
As an integrator, you want to manage each of your Magento core components and third-party components using the Component Manager and System Upgrade.
To do so, you start by creating a Composer project from our metapackage. The metapackage installs each component so it can be centrally managed after installation.
Composer provides you with the following advantages:
- Enables you to reuse third-party libraries without bundling them with source code
- Component-based architecture with robust dependency management
- Manages dependencies to reduce extension conflicts and compatibility issues
- Versioned dependencies
- Semantic versioning
- Supports the PHP Framework Interoperability standard