Default checkout overview
Magento checkout is implemented using the UI components. Out of the box, the checkout consists of two steps:
- Shipping Information
- Review and Payment Information
The checkout totals and the corresponding side-bar are only displayed after the first step is completed.
The only exception is checkout of virtual and/or downloadable products: if there are only these types of products in the shopping cart, checkout is automatically transformed to one-step procedure, because shipping information is not required.
List of described customizations
You can customize the default checkout in many ways. Here the following customizations are described:
- Add a new checkout step
- Customize the view of an existing step
- Add a custom payment method to checkout
- Add custom validations before order placement
- Add custom shipping carrier validations
- Add custom input mask for ZIP code
- Add a custom template for a form field on Checkout page
- Add a new input form to checkout
- Add a new field in address form
- Add custom shipping address renderer
For the sake of compatibility, upgradability, and easy maintenance, do not edit the default Magento code, add your customizations in a custom module.