Magento 2.1.x technology stack requirements
Operating systems (Linux x86-64)
Linux distributions such as RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian, and so on
Upgrading the Magento applications and extensions you obtain from Magento Marketplaces and other sources can require up to 2GB of RAM. If you are using a system with less than 2GB of RAM, we recommend you create a swap file; otherwise, your upgrade might fail.
Composer (latest stable version)
Composer is required for developers who wish to contribute to the Magento 2 codebase or anyone who wishes to develop Magento extensions
In addition, the apache
mod_rewritemodule must be enabled.
mod_rewriteenables the server to perform URL rewriting. For more information, see our Apache documentation.
nginx 1.8 (or latest mainline version)
Magento application version 2.1.2 and later are compatible with MySQL 5.7.
MariaDB and Percona are compatible with Magento because we support MySQL 5.6 APIs.
Required PHP extensions:
- bc-math (Magento Commerce only)
- gd, ImageMagick 6.3.7 (or later) or both
PHP 7 only:
We strongly recommend you verify the PHP OPcache is enabled for performance reasons. The OPcache is enabled in many PHP distributions. To verify if it is installed, see our PHP documentation for CentOS or Ubuntu.
If you must install it separately, see the PHP OPcache documentation.
We recommend particular PHP configuration settings, such as
memory_limit, that can avoid common problems when using Magento.
For more information, see Required PHP settings.
- A valid security certificate is required for HTTPS.
- Self-signed SSL certificates are not supported.
Transport Layer Security (TLS) requirement
repo.magento.comboth require TLS 1.1 or later
Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) or an SMTP server
Magento can utilize the following technologies:
- Redis version 3.0 for page caching and session storage (the latter supported by Magento version 2.0.6 and later only)
- Varnish version 3.5 or latest stable 4.x version for page caching
memcached latest stable version for session storage with either
memcachedPHP extensions (latest stable version)
Magento Commerce only
Apache Solr 4.x
Solr search can be used as a search provider. Available for Magento Commerce only.
Elasticsearch versions 1.7 and 2.x (recommended)
- If you get the Elasticsearch software from the Elasticsearch Linux repository, we support versions 2.x.
- If you get the Elasticsearch software from their Elasticsearch-PHP repository, we support the
RabbitMQ can be used to publish messages to queue and to define the consumers that receive the messages asynchronously. Available for Magento Commerce only.
Three master databases
These master databases provide scalability advantages for different functional areas of the Magento application: checkout, orders, and product data. Available for Magento Commerce only.
Optional but recommended:
- php_xdebug2.2.0 or later (development environments only; can have an adverse effect on performance)
There is a known issue with
xdebug that can affect Magento installations or access to the storefront or Magento Admin after installation.
For details, see Known issue with xdebug.
- PHPUnit (as a command-line tool) 4.1 or later