Magento supports integration with the AWS PrivateLink or Azure Private Link service to allow Cloud customers to establish secure, private communication between Magento Commerce Cloud environments and services and applications hosted on external systems. Both the Magento application and external systems must be accessible through private VPC endpoints configured within the same Cloud region (AWS or Azure).
Features and support
The PrivateLink service integration for Magento Commerce Cloud projects includes the following features and support:
- A secure connection between a customer Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) and the Magento VPC within the same Cloud region.
- Support for unidirectional or bidirectional communication between endpoint services available in Magento and Customer VPCs.
- Service enablement–
- Open required ports in the Magento Commerce Cloud environment
- Establish the initial connection between the customer and Magento VPCs
- Troubleshoot connection issues during enablement
- Support for PrivateLink is available on Pro plan Production and Staging environments only. It is not available on local or integration environments, or on Starter plan projects.
- You cannot establish SSH connections using PrivateLink. For SSH, use the Magento SSH capabilities. See Enable SSH keys.
- Magento support does not cover troubleshooting AWS PrivateLink issues beyond initial enablement.
- Customers are responsible for costs associated with managing their own VPC.
PrivateLink connection types
The following network diagram shows the PrivateLink connection types available to establish secure communication between the Magento store and external systems hosted outside of the Cloud environment.
You must determine the PrivateLink connection type required for your Magento Commerce Cloud environments:
- Unidirectional PrivateLink–Choose this configuration to retrieve data securely from a Magento Commerce store.
- Bidirectional PrivateLink–Choose this configuration to establish secure connections to and from systems outside of the Magento Commerce Cloud environment. The bidirectional option requires two connections:
- A connection between the customer VPC and the Magento VPC
- A connection between the Magento VPC and the customer VPC
Work with your network administrator or Cloud platform provider for help selecting the PrivateLink connection type, or help with VPC setup and administration. Also, see your Cloud platform PrivateLink documentation AWS PrivateLink, Azure Private Link.
Request PrivateLink enablement
Enabling PrivateLink can take up to 5 business days. Providing incomplete, or inaccurate information can delay the process.
- A Cloud account (AWS or Azure) in the same region as the Magento Commerce Cloud instance
- A VPC in the customer environment that hosts the services to connect via PrivateLink. See the AWS or Azure documentation for help with VPC set up or contact your network administrator.
- For bidirectional PrivateLink connections, you must create the endpoint service configuration for your application or service, and create an endpoint in your VPC environment before requesting Magento PrivateLink enablement. See Set up for bidirectional PrivateLink connections.
Gather the following data required for PrivateLink enablement:
- Customer Cloud account number (AWS or Azure)–Must be in the same region as the Magento Commerce Cloud instance
- Cloud region–Provide the Cloud region where the account is hosted for verification purposes
- Services and communication ports–Magento must open ports to enable service communication between VPCs, for example Webserver, HTTP port 80, SFTP port 2222
- Magento Cloud Project ID–Provide the Magento Commerce Cloud Pro project ID. You can get the Project ID and other project information using the folllowing Magento Cloud CLI command:
- Connection type–Specify unidirectional or bidirectional for connection type
- Service endpoint–For bidirectional PrivateLink connections, provide the DNS URL for the VPC service endpoint that Magento must connect to, for example
The following workflow outlines the enablement process for PrivateLink integration with Magento Commerce Cloud.
Customer submits a support ticket requesting PrivateLink enablement with the subject line
PrivateLink support for <company>. Include the data required for enablement in the ticket.
We use the Support ticket to coordinate communication during the enablement process.
Magento enables customer account access to the endpoint service in the Magento VPC.
Update the Magento endpoint service configuration to accept requests initiated from the customer AWS or Azure account.
Update the Support ticket to provide the service name for the Magento VPC endpoint to connect to, for example
Customer adds the Magento endpoint service to their Cloud account (AWS or Azure), which triggers a connection request to Magento. See the Cloud platform documentation for instructions:
- For AWS, see Accepting and rejecting interface endpoint connection requests.
- For Azure, see Manage connection requests.
Magento approves the connection request.
After connection request approval, the customer verifies the connection between their VPC and the Magento VPC.
Additional steps to enable bidirectional connections:
Magento supplies the Magento account principal (root user for AWS or Azure account) and requests access to the customer VPC endpoint service.
Customer enables Magento access to the endpoint service in customer VPC.
Update the customer endpoint service configuration to accept requests initiated from Magento account. See the Cloud platform documentation for instructions:
- For AWS, see Adding and removing permissions for your endpoint service.
- For Azure, see Manage a Private Endpoint connection
Provide Magento with the endpoint service name for the customer VPC.
Magento adds the customer endpoint service to Magento platform account (AWS or Azure), which triggers a connection request to customer VPC.
Customer approves the connection request from Magento to complete the setup.
Customer verifies the connection from the Magento VPC.
Test VPC endpoint service connection
You can use the Telnet application to test the connection to the VPC endpoint service.
For help installing and using Telnet, see Telnet How-To in the Telnet documentation.
To test the connection to the VPC endpoint service:
Log in to Magento Commerce Cloud project, and checkout the Staging or Production environment.
From the project root directory, checkout the environment configured to access the PrivateLink service endpoint.
magento-cloud environment:checkout <environment-id>
Run the following CURL command:
curl -v telnet://<endpoint-service-dns-url>:<port>/
$ curl -v telnet://vpce-007ffnb9qkcnjgult-yfhmywqh.vpce-svc-083cqvm2ta3rxqat5v.us-east-1.vpce.amazonaws.com:80 -vvv
If the connection succeeds, the following output displays:
* Rebuilt URL to: telnet://vpce-007ffnb9qkcnjgult-yfhmywqh.vpce-svc-083cqvm2ta3rxqat5v.us-east-1.vpce.amazonaws.com:80 * Connected to vpce-0088d56482571241d-yfhmywqh.vpce-svc-083cqvm2ta3rxqat5v.us-east-1.vpce. amazonaws.com (188.8.131.52) port 80 (#0)
If the connection fails, the following output displays:
Failed to connect to vpce-007ffnb9qkcnjgult-yfhmywqh.vpce-svc-083cqvm2ta3rxqat5v.ap-southeast-1.vpce.amazonaws.com port 80: Connection timed out * Closing connection 0
See the following articles for help troubleshooting connection issues:
- AWS: Troubleshooting endpoint service connections
- Amazon: Troubleshooting Azure Private Link connectivity problems
If you cannot resolve the errors, update the Magento Support ticket to request help establishing the connection.
Change PrivateLink configuration
Submit a Magento Support ticket to change an existing PrivateLink configuration. For example, you can request changes like the following:
- Remove the PrivateLink connection from the Magento Commerce Cloud Pro Production or Staging environment.
- Change the customer Cloud platform account number for accessing the Magento endpoint service.
- Add or remove PrivateLink connections from the Magento VPC to other endpoint services available in the customer VPC environment.
Set up for bidirectional PrivateLink connections
The customer VPC must have the following resources available to support bidirectional PrivateLink connections:
- A Network Load Balancer
- An endpoint service configuration that enables access to an application or service from the customer VPC
- An interface endpoint (AWS) or private endpoint (Azure) that allows Magento to connect to endpoint services hosted in your VPC
If these resources are not available in the customer VPC, you must sign into your Cloud platform account to add the configuration.
- Amazon VPC console–
- Azure portal–
See your Cloud platform documentation for PrivateLink set up instructions: