What’s in this topic
Scripts general overview
The Blank and Luma themes use the following scripts to responsively relocate page elements by breakpoint:
The script files are located in the file system as follows:
├── app/design/frontend/Magento/blank/web/js/ ├── responsive.js ├── lib/web/ ├── matchMedia.js ├── mage/ ├── menu.js
See one of the following sections for more information:
responsive.js calls the
mediaCheck() anonymous function from
mediaCheck call looks as follows:
responsive.js changes the view of the checkout
progress block on the checkout page:
- For the desktop view, the checkout progress block is permanently displayed on the left-hand side.
- For the mobile view, it is moved by CSS
to be displayed under the checkout steps.
responsive.jsmakes it a toggled block: by default, the checkout progress information is hidden in the Your Checkout Progress section and it is visible after you click it.
In a mobile view, on the 768px breakpoint,
menu.js changes the navigation menu look and behavior the following way:
- Category menu items are not displayed, but are accessible after clicking the menu icon.
- The behavior of a category
link depends on whether the category has sub-categories:
- If sub-categories exist, the category link behaves as collapsible block. Clicking a category link does not redirect to the category page immediately. Instead it opens a list of sub-categories, including the All category products option.
- If there are no sub-categories, the category link behaves as usual.
The following image illustrates the mobile-view navigation menu.
Re-using Magento scripts in your theme
You can use the
matchMedia.js to add responsive behavior in your custom theme
If your theme inherits from Blank or Luma, you do not even need to additionally include the script files in your theme.
If your theme does not inherit from Blank or Luma, to be able to use the scripts, you must configure RequireJS for your theme.