Tutorial—Set up multiple websites with Apache
Set values in an entry point script
You’re working on a development machine (laptop, virtual machine, and so on)
Additional tasks might be required to deploy multiple websites in a hosted environment; check with your hosting provider for more information.
Additional tasks are required to set up Magento Commerce Cloud. After you complete the tasks discussed in this topic, see Set up multiple Magento Commerce Cloud websites or stores.
You use one virtual host per website; the virtual host configuration file is
Different versions of Apache on different operating systems set up virtual hosts differently. Consult the Apache documentation or a network administrator if you’re not sure how to set up a virtual host.
- The Magento software is installed in
You have two websites other than the default:
french.mysite.mgwith website code
frenchand store view code
german.mysite.mgwith website code
germanand store view code
Roadmap for setting up multiple websites with Apache
Setting up multiple stores consists of the following tasks:
- Set up websites, stores, and store views in the Magento Admin.
- Create one Apache virtual host per Magento website.
Step 1: Create websites, stores, and store views in the Magento Admin
Step 2: Create Apache virtual hosts
This section discusses how to set values for
MAGE_RUN_CODE using the Apache server variable
SetEnvIf in a virtual host.
For more information about
As a user with
rootprivileges, open the virtual host configuration file in a text editor.
For example, open
- Locate the section starting with
Create the following virtual hosts after any existing virtual hosts:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
<VirtualHost *:80> ServerName mysite.mg DocumentRoot /var/www/html/magento2/pub/ </VirtualHost> <VirtualHost *:80> ServerName french.mysite.mg DocumentRoot /var/www/html/magento2/pub/ SetEnv MAGE_RUN_CODE "french" SetEnv MAGE_RUN_TYPE "website" </VirtualHost> <VirtualHost *:80> ServerName german.mysite.mg DocumentRoot /var/www/html/magento2/pub/ SetEnv MAGE_RUN_CODE "german" SetEnv MAGE_RUN_TYPE "website" </VirtualHost>
- Save your changes to
httpd.confand exit the text editor.
service httpd restart
service apache2 restart
Verify your site
Unless you have DNS set up for your stores’ URLs, you must add a static route to the host in your
- Locate your operating system’s
Add the static route in the format:
<ip address> french.mysite.mg <ip address> german.mysite.mg
Go to one of the following URLs in your browser:
1 2 3
http://mysite.mg/admin http://french.mysite.mg/frenchstoreview http://german.mysite.mg/germanstoreview
- Additional tasks might be required to deploy multiple websites in a hosted environment; check with your hosting provider for more information.
- Additional tasks are required to set up Magento Commerce Cloud; for more information, see Set up multiple Cloud websites or stores
- If your French and German sites return 404s but your Admin loads, make sure you completed Step 6: Add the store code to the base URL.
- If all URLs return 404s, make sure you restarted your web server.
- If the Magento Admin doesn’t function properly, make sure you set up your virtual hosts properly.