What’s in this topic
This topic features a step-by-step illustration of how to change the number of products displayed in a row on a product page, keeping up with the responsive design approach used by Magento out-of-the-box themes.
Changing the number of products in a row
OrangeCo wants to make their products more visible by decreasing the quantity of products in a row displayed on a catalog page, so that each product takes more space.
In the basic Blank theme, the number of products in a row for each breakpoint is the following (for the 2-column page layout):
- 1024px and more (desktop): four products
- 768px (tablet): three products
- 640px and less (mobile): two products
In their custom Orange theme, OrangeCo wants to have the least number of products in a row for the desktop and tablet view, namely:
- Desktop: three products
- Tablet: two products
- Mobile: two products
The Orange theme inherits from the Blank theme.
To change the products quantity, OrangeCo take the following steps:
- Copy the
- Put it in the corresponding location in their Orange theme directory:
- Make the changes in the code. The following image illustrates which section of the file they change, the modified lines are highlighted:
After OrangeCo applies their theme, the catalog page of their store looks like following:
(compare to the same page for the Blank theme.)