What are the Magento web APIs?
The Magento web API framework provides integrators and developers the means to use web services that communicate with the Magento system. Key features include:
- Three types of authentication:
All accounts and integrations are assigned resources that they have access to. The API framework checks that any call has the authorization to perform the request.
Any Magento or third-party service can be configured as a web API with a few lines of xml. To configure a web API, you define XML elements and attributes in a
webapi.xmlconfiguration file. If a service is not defined in a configuration file, it will not be exposed at all.
The framework is based on the CRUD (create, read, update, delete) & search model. The system does not currently support webhooks.
The framework supports field filtering of web API responses to conserve mobile bandwidth.
- Integration style web APIs enable a single web API call to run multiple services at once for a more efficient integration. An example of this behavior can be seen in the Catalog where one web API call can create a product. If your payload includes the
media_gallery_entriesobjects, then the framework will also create the product’s inventory & media in that one API call.
What can I do with the Magento web APIs?
The APIs can be used to perform a wide array of tasks. For example:
Create a shopping app. This can be a traditional app that a user downloads on a mobile device. You could also create an app that an employee uses on a showroom floor to help customers make purchases.
Integrate with CRM (Customer Relationship Management) or ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) backend systems, such as Salesforce or Xero.
Integrate with a CMS (Content Management System). At present, content tagging is not supported.
How do I get started?
You must register a web service on Magento Admin. Use the following general steps to set up Magento to enable web services.
- If you are using token-based authentication, create a web services user on Magento Admin by selecting System > Permission > All Users > Add New User. (If you are using session-based or OAuth authentication, you do not need to create the new user in the Admin.)
- Create a new integration on Magento Admin. To create an integration, click System > Extensions > Integration > Add New Integration**. Be sure to restrict which resources the integration can access.
- Use a REST or SOAP client to configure authentication.
See the User Guide for more information.